The parish church of St. Gilgen is perfect for weddings at Lake Wolfgang. It stands right in the middle of the village and has a long and interesting story to tell. Meanwhile, the beautiful church is a protected monument and also guards the tombs associated with the Mozart family.
Mozart’s sister, Anna Maria, better known as Nannerl, went there after marrying the Guardian of St. Gilgen at Lake Wolfgang. There she lived for 17 years, had two children with her 15-year older husband and returned to the City of Salzburg only after his death.
No wonder then, that in St. Gilgen a lot of things remind one of the presence of the Mozart family. Besides the Mozart House and Mozart Square, there are also some stories about the parish church of St. Gilgen.
The parish church of St. Gilgen and the Mozart family
The first documentation of a church in St. Gilgen was in 1376. A lot has happened since then. For Mozart fans, the burial sites of Nannerl’s deceased husband and his mother are especially interesting. These are commemorated on the left side of the church with a marble plaque.
Parish Church St. Gilgen
Catholic Parish Church St. Gilgen
5340 St. Gilgen